WHOLE – ORANGE CAKE.
Recipe(sourced: Women’s Weekly Cookbooks: Cakes)
2 medium oranges
1 1/2 cups almond meal
1/4 cup plain flour
1 cup sugar
3 egg whites
1/4 cup caster sugar, extra
3/4 cup desiccated coconut
1. Place unpeeled oranges in medium saucepan, cover with cold water; bring to boil, drain. Repeat process two more times then cool oranges to room temperature
2. Preheat oven to moderately hot (170-180c). Grease 24cm spring-form pan; line base with baking paper.
3. Halves oranges; remove and discard seeds. Blend or process orange halves until pulpy; place in large bowl.
4. Using wooden spoon, beat eggs, almond meal, sugar and flour into orange mixture. Pout the mixture into prepared pan.
5. Bake cake in moderate hot oven for 1 hour.
6. Meanwhile, beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form; with motor operating, gradually add extra sugar, beating until dissolved. Using fork, stir coconut into egg mixture. Remove cake carefully from the oven, closing oven door to maintain temperature. Using metal spatula spread coconut mixture evenly over cake, bake about 10 minutes or until topping is lightly browned.
7. Cool cake to room temperature before removing from pan.