I’m a bit of a messy cook. I get so caught up in the moment of creating and baking I forget the cleaning. But this recipe is called eton mess… I’m allowed to be messy! And it’s the best tasting mess ever! It’s ridiculously easy and takes no time at all…
Take a look below at how it all starts.
Cream. Meringue. Berries.
- 2 cups fresh strawberries/frozen berries (such as raspberries)
- 300ml thickened cream
- 1 tsp, vanilla essence
- ¼ cup icing sugar, sifted
- 100g meringue (I used homemade hazelnut and chocolate)
- Place berries on a large plate lined with paper towel. Stand at room temperature for 5 minutes to partially thaw.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream, sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Using your fingers, gently crush meringue. Add crushed meringue to cream. Gently stir to combine.
- Transfer fruit to a bowl. Gently mash fruit with a fork. Add to cream mixture, stirring until just combined (do not overmix or mixture will turn pink).
- Spoon into four 3/4-cup capacity glasses. Cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve.